Apply for Emerging Writers’ Residencies
Emerging Writers’ Residencies at A Studio in the Woods invite local poets, playwrights, composers, and prose writers (fiction and nonfiction) to apply for one-week residencies at our Writer’s Cabin to support new or ongoing work.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS
Proposals are due April 13, 2020, and residencies will be awarded by July 1, 2020.
Residencies last one week, and will take place between September 2020 and May 2021. Flexibility in your dates is appreciated as we try to accommodate everyone’s schedules.
Emerging poets, playwrights, composers, and prose writers (fiction and nonfiction) living in southeast Louisiana—Assumption, Jefferson, Lafourche, Orleans, Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. James, St. John the Baptist, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Terrebonne, and Washington parishes — are eligible to apply. Emerging is defined as having published no more than one full-length book or composition in the genre of application with a recognized press (not including self-published works or compositions). Applicants who have only published works in periodicals and who wish to apply to work on a new or ongoing manuscript are eligible. Students enrolled in full-time education (undergraduate and graduate), and applicants who have a second book or composition under contract at the time of application, are not eligible.
A Studio in the Woods particularly encourages applications from writers of color and indigenous artists.
SELECTION PROCESS A multidisciplinary jury will judge proposals on:
- Evidence of a demonstrated commitment to one’s genre
- The originality and creativity of the proposal
- Skill and mastery in one’s genre for published writers, or evidence of potential for unpublished writers
- The extent of the impact of the residency on the project (i.e. how much this residency will mean to one’s work)
Recipients will be provided $500 as a stipend. Depending on the needs of the project, we may be able to assist artists in accessing Tulane University faculty consultants or research collections. We provide full room and board including food, utilities for living and studio space to selected residents. Residents are expected to cover personal living expenses, additional materials and supplies, and any other expenses relating to the cost of producing work incurred while in the program. Travel and shipping expenses to and from A Studio in the Woods for the residency are also the responsibility of the artist. A Studio in the Woods will host a group sharing for all Emerging Writers Residents post residency period.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES – Applications are due by midnight PST on April 13, 2020
- Complete the application form
- Submit the following in one PDF or Word Doc by email to [email protected] with Emerging Writers Residency in the subject line:
- Work Samples -10-20 page excerpt of recent (past three years) creative and/or scholarly work. Screen/stage writers may submit up to 40 pages. Composers should submit 5-10 pages of sheet music and an accompanying recording of the score. The composer applicant does not have to be the performing artist(s) on the recording but please indicate who is playing and the relationship to the applicant. Musicians seeking an Emerging Writers Residency to compose music are eligible, but musicians who are not composers are not eligible for this opportunity.
Direct questions to Cammie Hill-Prewitt at [email protected] or 504-407-4410.