Kids in the Woods summer camp serves youth 7-11 years old and runs from 9:30am – 2:30pm for four weeks in June. In 2018 the cost was $950 per child and included a shuttle to and from pick up locations on the East and West Banks. Professional teaching artists lead the camp and are joined by Tulane natural scientists for week-long focuses in botany, ornithology, entomology and/or herpetology.
Campers are immersed in the natural environment as they engage in a variety of hands-on art and nature activities such as:
- Creating poems inspired by local ecology
- Collecting and studying insects
- Making puppets of woodland creatures for a puppet show they write themselves
- Sculpting clay houses for bugs and frogs
- Learning how to identify trees and other plants
- Constructing a colorful cardboard forest
- Creating mosaics out of seeds and sand
- Daily nature walks in the woods and on the levee
- Documenting their camp experience in a handmade journal
Details are still being finalized for our 2019 camp. Fill out this form to be among the first to hear when registration opens!