As a program of Tulane we are following the current protocol from the University and will not be hosting camp or any other group programming on our site in summer 2021. This camp has been the highlight of our summer for 15 years we will so miss having the children in the Woods for a second year in a row. This is especially hard for us because we know just how much children need creative play, time outdoors, and to be with their peers right now. (And for parents to have a break!)
Sign up here if you would like to be among the first notified when registration for Kids in the Woods Camp 2022 opens.
At Kids in the Woods Camp, youth 7-11 years old learn about their relationship to the natural environment. Through hands-on arts activities children use both artistic and scientific skills to observe, identify and collect natural materials and processes. They then record their experiences through visual arts such as clay, paint, drawing, collage, and sculpture. They develop literary arts through journaling, poetry and storytelling. Campers also engage with performing arts through movement, music, and creating their own plays. Kids in the Woods Camp features guests artists and scientists, providing deeper dives into subject matter.
- Collecting and studying insects
- Ornithological choose-your-own-adventure games in the meadow
- Learning how to identify trees and other plants with our staff botanist
- Daily nature walks in the woods and on the levee
- Writing, building sets, creating costumes, and performing their own plays
- Creating poems inspired by local ecology
- Making puppets of woodland creatures for a puppet show they write themselves
- Sculpting clay houses for bugs and frogs
- Constructing a colorful cardboard forest
- Creating mosaics out of seeds and sand
- Documenting their camp experience in a handmade journal
- Drawing, painting, sewing, sculpture and more!
Please contact [email protected] with any questions.